A ficus tree is popularly known as a figs or fig trees which can normally be found in tropical regions where temperature are warmer that enjoys high humidity. In order to properly take good care of your Tree, you first need to understand it’s important characteristic. This indoor Tree is very sensitive to climate changes such as the amount of water to apply and light the it gets. This tree is part of a woody fig trees and a shrub family that has a unique pollination process involving a specific wasps called as the fig wasps. This type of tree is usually multi-stem and to support it’s growth, it may drop and aerial roots. It generally produce fruits 2 times a year for over a decade which are cultivated for its vitamin A and C contents. In tropical rainforest, their fruits are major food resource for some bats, birds, capuchin monkeys and mangabeys. It is one the common and most desirable indoor plant because their shapes can easily be controlled and trained. Due to seasonal change, it will shed leaves as it’s survival mechanism that’s why most people complained about leaves turning yellow then fall off leaving and empty branches. It doesn’t look good anymore, that’s why proper care is crucial. Here are Some of the Best Practices to Properly Care of your Indoor Tree
- Throughout the growing season, you have to fertilized your indoor tree except in winter with a liquid fertilizer.
- Place it at the right place. Away from any header vents, opening doors and windows as it can easily be stress.
- Over watering is no-no. When it turns yellow, never ever give too much water to your plant. Most people do the opposite when the leaves color suggests but the best practice is to use your fingertip to feel the surface of the soil. It is best to allow the soil to dry before watering again.
- Give it a mist at least 2 times a day and provide the right humidity.
- A filtered bright light is good. An area where it gets a direct sun is a NO but an early-morning and late-afternoon sun is totally fine. Ideal temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and 65 degrees at night.
- Maintain your ficus shape and control it’s growth by pruning. Control the height of your plant by cutting cutting some stems forcing a new growth.
A well-grown and properly maintain indoor plant can give you the right inspiration to continue plant cultivation as it gives you too much satisfaction.
How To Take Care Of A Ficus Tree
1. Find a good spot for your container-grown ficus tree where you will not need to move it too often. A plant like ficus tree dislike changing environment. They get upset when they are moved from a location where they are already used to.
2. Ficus tree should be planted where they can get enough amount of light. Outdoor Ficus: make sure that they receive full sunlight. Indoor Ficus: Place them in an area where they can have the luxury of bright light; perhaps by the window.
3. Watering is essential for the growth but not too much. Keep it on a regular routine, probably 1 to 2 times per week. Water it, if the soil feels so dry.
4. Give it enough room to grow. Place them in a reasonably good size container.
5. Pruning a Ficus Tree is not huge deal. It’s easy which requires your patient and caring hand. Shape it as you desire but be sure not to endanger their limbs.
6. They need to get fertilized too. They’ll grow vigorously and healthy when they get the right amount of nutrients.
7. Be observant to changes. Sometimes, its leaves will show that they are infested with insects and bugs. You’ve got to get rid of them. An organic homemade spray will do its magic.
Ficus Tree – Care Tips
1. Choosing a Ficus Tree. Ficus trees are a temperamental type of plant. It gets easily stressed even with little moving from one room to the other. It is significant to have straight, sturdy and free from scar trunk. Make sure it has rich green leaves, bug-free leaves and soil. When the plant shows leaf loss, it also means it’s having stress to its environment.
2. Potting. It is done when roots overflow from its pot. Choose a bigger pot than the previous one. Ficus has vigorous root growth. Don’t worry, potting is just as easy as 1 2 3.
3. Location. Place ficus tree preferably by the window. Where it can get enough sunlight by the morning or afternoon.
4. Humidity and Watering. When its top soil is dry, it’s a good indication for a need of watering. Pour water just enough for the soil to get than flooding it with too much water.
5. Fertilizing. To keep your plant healthy, it needs to be fed regularly with good nourishment from fertilizer. Apply the right dosage probably once a month on active growth.
6. Left Loss. Don’t get to alarm when you notice that your ficus tree is shedding some leaves. It’s natural and typical for most plants. Remember: don’t get them stress, schedule watering & fertilizer. Keep them healthy by making them happy. Doing that and they will grow vigorously.
7 Seasonal care. During spring and summer. They grow quicker so it is essential to give them more water, fertilizer and enough sunlight. While during colder seasons, less water and fertilizer since growth slows down during this period.
Updated November 22, 2015